Are you struggling with drawing the manga character figures or sometimes you find your drawing so stiff and not so organic? If yes, these best manga anatomy books will help you to find the answers and help you to overcome it.
These books help you to go from a manga fan to a manga artist.
You know that manga faces are different from those of regular, American-style comic book characters. But did you know that manga bodies are also different? Anatomy makes all the difference between American and Japanese comic books drawing art style.
To start drawing authentic manga characters you need to know the anatomy of characters and the books we listed here are the best manga anatomy books, which help you to master your art style.
Best Manga/ Anime Anatomy Books for Artists -Beginner To Advance
- Basic Anatomy for the Manga Artist: Everything You Need to Start Drawing Authentic Manga Characters
- Anatomy 101: Christopher Hart’s Draw Manga Now!
- How to Draw Manga: Bodies & Anatomy
- Learn to Draw – Manga Anatomy Fundamentals
Before you start to draw a complete manga figure, it is good if you practice individual parts first. To learn the drawing of manga characters (male/female) parts by parts; check our best picks of manga drawing books category wise.
1. Basic Anatomy for the Manga Artist: Everything You Need to Start Drawing Authentic Manga Characters
This book is loaded with clear step-by-step instructions and illustrations, anatomical charts and information, and before-and-after comparisons you won’t find anywhere else—all tailored to creating authentic Japanese-style manga.
And in addition to the breakdowns of the various sections of the body, you’ll also learn how all the different elements—including faces and costumes—come together to form complete characters. Basic Anatomy for the Manga Artist contains everything you need to know.
No aspiring mangaka (manga artist) should be without it.
2. Anatomy 101: Christopher Hart’s Draw Manga Now!
Focusing on anatomy, one of the fundamentals of drawing manga characters, Anatomy 101 teaches readers how to accurately draw the manga figure.
From lessons on muscular and skeletal structure, arms, hands, and feet to poses and movement, this book covers everything readers need to go from manga fans to manga artists.
After an introduction to these elements, readers will have a chance to follow along Hart’s in-depth step-by-steps, and will even be invited to draw on their own, right in the book’s pages.
See Our Other Best Pick of Manga Drawing Books:
- Best Books to Learn How to Draw Anime and Manga Hair
- Best Books to Learn How to Draw Anime Clothes [Boys + Girls]
- Best Books to Learn How to Draw Manga Chibis
- Best Manga Drawing Books That’ll Teach You Everything
3. How to Draw Manga: Bodies & Anatomy
Explains and provides step-by-step instructions on how to draw manga human anatomy, covering the head, torso, and upper and lower body variations.
This book explains the way muscles and body parts correspond to one another in actions and poses very well.
Lots of diagrams and a complete overview of anime /manga style anatomy. The skull, hand and feet sections were in-depth and very helpful and detailed
This book goes through each part of the anatomy and diagrams the muscles to give you a better understanding of the whole body structure. This book shows all the helpful angles you need to know how to draw whatever you want.
There are some nude drawings of the female characters. Which is something can be expected from anatomy studies. Nude models are a part of every serious artistic anatomy book. So it may not be for young kids, but for any serious anime /manga artists it shouldn’t be a problem.
4. Learn to Draw – Manga Anatomy Fundamentals
The human body has a complex structure that can be difficult to understand. Drawing it can be very confusing without a basic understanding of human anatomy. This book will help you to understand the human anatomy in a simplified manner that can be easy and comfortable for beginners.
In this book, you will learn the step by step drawing process and some techniques that will really help you to understand the human anatomy fundamentals.
What You Will Learn from this Anatomy Book:
- Structure of a manga body and proportion
- The male and female manga proportion
- How to draw a male and female torso in three different views
- How to draw an arm (anatomy and structures)
- The arm rotation
- How to draw hands and hand poses
- The hand proportion and structure
- How to draw Legs, Feet and Foot